|Associate Chief Operating Officer
Position Based In: Troy, NY
The Associate Chief Operating Officer, Troy (ACOO) oversees the ongoing operations of the Troy region in conjunction with the Managing Director of Operations, NY State. The Troy ACOO manages regional community relationships, drives all regional & State/district work, and ensures implementation and maintenance of clear systems that allow principals and teachers to focus on students. In this role, the ACOO must be able to communicate effectively with various constituent groups and have strong influence, organizational and operational skills. This position serves a region of three schools by managing Directors of Operations and school support team staff. Open position is based in Troy with some travel to NYC, Boston, and Rochester.
- Serve as the primary liaison between elected officials and the school region
- Develop partnerships with key service providers, community organizers, and elected officials
- Attend community events regularly to grow strategic relationships
- Cultivate and manage relationships with summer program partners and update the summer program database
- Support the Director of Enrollment & Recruitment in ongoing student recruitment
- Liaise among the Uncommon External Relations team, regional team, and school-based team
- Manage the Community Engagement Coordinator
- Oversee the district relationship and coordinate communication between the local school district and Uncommon Schools regional and home offices
- Identify and drive new initiatives in collaboration with the district
- Facilitate collaboration between Uncommon & District co-located schools by managing building councils and implementing shared building plans
- Manage all external usage of the school building, creating partnerships with existing community users
- As the region grows, develop initiatives to encourage cohesiveness within the schools of the region
- Oversees the ongoing operations of Troy Prep campuses, and coordinates with Boston and Rochester ACOOs on all grade span-wide initiatives, including but not limited to: quarterly performance dashboards, state testing, schedules, internal assessments, etc.
- Oversees hiring, on-boarding, management, and evaluation of all operations staff, including directors of operations, office managers, special projects coordinators, nurses, and custodians.
- Supports campus directors of operations on all primary roles and responsibilities, including, but not limited to:
- Food and Transportation
- Government Reporting
- Financial Management
- HR & Personnel
- Assessment & Program Evaluation
- Enrollment Management
- Operations Leader Collaboration
- Operations Team Management
- School Administration
- Student & Staff Culture
Data Management & Reporting
- Partners with Managing Director of Operations, NY State and Uncommon Home Office to drive and support new school start-up and growth
- Works with regional ACOOs and Managing Director of Operations, NY State to develop, refine, and/or codify school policies and procedures.
Special Programs and Projects
- Responsible for compiling and submitting all Federal, State, District and City reports in conjunction with Newark regional Director of School Support
- Partners with Boston / Troy/ Rochester School Support Team on all network-wide initiatives and systems, including enrollment, Child Nutrition, government reporting, network data tracking, and various special projects identified through annual strategic planning process
- Manage school information databases and perform regular audits to ensure accuracy
- Develop and launch new regional initiatives as assigned by the Managing Director of Operations
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Strong customer service approach;
- Strong negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong management skills.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
- Sense of humor; and enjoys working with children of all ages.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Access;
- Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor’s Degree. MPP, MBA or JD preferred.
- 5+ years of related work experience in Operations;
- 5+ years of team management with demonstrated track record of success.
- Ideally, experience building extremely efficient school operations systems.
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred;
- Willing to travel biweekly, sometimes overnight
We offer a generous compensation package which includes base salary and comprehensive health benefits. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.