The Behavior Support Specialist at Uncommon will work with the school's Dean of Students to ensure that all students demonstrate dramatic student achievement gains and internalize the school's values. This individual will also help lead the school's efforts to create a positive, structured, consistent, caring, and disciplined school culture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Behavior Support Specialist works closely with the Dean of Students to establish a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture
- The Behavior Support Specialist supports teachers to hold all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations
- The Behavior Support Specialist serves as the point person for dealing with behavioral crisis-intervention and acute behavioral issues
- The Behavior Support Specialist acts as a resource to teachers in their instructional practice, especially as it relates to issues of discipline, relationships with students, classroom management, and school culture
- The Behavior Support Specialist assists teachers, students, and parents in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans
- The Behavior Support Specialist leads staff efforts to ensure all students have excellent attendance and arrive at school on time, and working aggressively with students and parents to ensure excellent attendance
- The Behavior Support Specialist may participate in summer home visits highlighting the responsibilities of parents, teachers, and students
- The Behavior Support Specialist is responsible for arranging efficient homework collection in the morning, and ensuring homework is delivered to staff from students appropriately and accurately
- The Behavior Support Specialist helps to reinforce the effective use of a school-wide behavior plan, including managing the school’s demerit and rubric systems
- The Behavior Support Specialist supports the Dean of Students as the point person for discipline/culture issues
- The Behavior Support Specialist ensures that the physical environment of the school reinforces school culture and facilitates student achievement
- The Behavior Support Specialist is responsible for being highly present and visible during school hours, relentlessly ensuring the school has an exceptional school culture
- The Behavior Support Specialist proactively circulates throughout classrooms and hallways during the day, to gain valuable context on student behavior and help support positive school culture monitoring behavioral pull-out and in-school suspensions
- The Behavior Support Specialist models the school’s values and the standard for professional behavior
- The Behavior Support Specialist Supervises breakfast, lunch, in-between class transitions, enrichment, and dismissal, making sure students are always where they are supposed to be and ensuring a professional school culture at these times
- The Behavior Support Specialist Manages afterschool detention
- The Behavior Support Specialist keeps accurate student discipline records, documenting all conferences, suspensions, and phone calls for behavior
- The Behavior Support Specialist teaches at least one whole or small-group class
- The Behavior Support Specialist tracks behavior on the school bus, ensuring students are exemplary bus riders to and from school
- The Behavior Support Specialist ensures that behavioral expectations and school culture standards are met outside of the classroom as well as inside, including establishing and monitoring bus behavior/culture as well as cafeteria/meal time behavior and culture
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues, and community members
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.