|Associate Director – Data Management (Data Asset Management)
Team: Data &IT - Data Management
Reports to: Sr. Associate Director, Data & IT – Data Management
Uncommon Schools is implementing a Data Governance Strategy that enables the organization to better meet the growing demand of expectations on data to drive decisions for students, staff and the broader organization. Data is a critical component for any organization, and that opportunity is particularly important at Uncommon Schools where we utilize data to meet the organization’s important mission. This role will play a key part in enabling data to be an asset in the execution of this strategy.
The role responsibility includes driving the organization’s work in managing its data assets to support decision-making processes across schools and functions. The scope includes understanding and capturing the definitions, processes and rules around student, staff and organization data sets. The individual will also be responsible for driving various data projects.
The Associate Director of Data Management will support the Sr. Associate Director of Data Management on key aspects of Data Governance as well as the broader Data & IT teams on data management activities that are critical to the strategic priorities for Uncommon Schools.
- Contribute to the Data Governance Strategy Planning and Execution
- Establish the methods and processes to mature the data management activity at Uncommon Schools
- Provide alternatives and recommendations to data management approaches for strategic activities
- Act a Data Resource for various projects requiring data management perspective
- Providing leadership and training the teams on technical or business concepts and in Data Governance best practices.
- Gather Data Requirements from functional and school-based teams to establish necessary
- Establish data governance expectations for new projects or solutions including contributing as a Data Governance Subject Matter expert within a project team
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships, and keeping clients informed and engaged throughout the entire project lifecycle.
- Capture Definitions, Rules and Processes of Uncommon’s Data Assets
- Understand data usage cases across schools and regions of Uncommon Schools that meet reporting requirements, but also improve the instructional and operational capabilities across the network and in the schools.
- Develop an understanding of the structure and availability of school data
- Create and manage Uncommon’s Data Dictionary by capturing data definitions, data processes and data rules for key Student, Staff and Organization data sets
- Create and manage Uncommon’s Data Catalog/Portal by sharing key data assets with the schools, regions and functions
- Review materials created by Data Stewards to confirm validity with Uncommon’s Operational Model for Data Management.
- Establish and measure Data Quality metrics for critical to quality data sets
- Help in technical resolution of issues related to data flow and movement
- Manage the Uncommon’s taxonomy of data assets to facilitate communication and alignment across the organization
- Reviewing existing processes and continually improving them. This includes reviewing lessons learned from each initiative within the teams and providing regarding process improvements.
- Performing ad hoc data comparisons and analysis for various Uncommon stakeholders.
- Obtaining signoffs and managing change requests.
- Proactively document best practice use cases
- Identify training opportunities through analysis of support issues
- Educational background:
- 1-3 Years data-related experience (e.g., data quality, data compliance)
- Experience in K-12 Education data, or experience in learning/understanding cross-industry data sets
- Collibra Data Governance Center experience is strongly recommended
- Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Solid understanding of Data Management Lifecycle
- Familiarity with both business and technical metadata concepts.
- Ability to identify and describe the complex interplay between data in the various systems of origin and final use (e.g., reporting, decision-making, regulatory compliance, etc.)
- Ability to understand the implications of data quality issues and explain the impact that technology, organizational structure and business practices have on data quality
- Ability to interact with cross-functional and quality improvement teams at every level of the organization'
- Support standardization of data governance components (e.g., Lineage, Metadata & Dictionary, Data Catalog)
- Experience with Technical Writing for audiences of varying roles and data experience
- Strong analytical skills as well as hands-on experience with data-related issue analysis, establishing conclusions from data and development of solutions to resolve data quality issues
- A self-starter with the ability to work effectively both individually as well as part of a team
- Willingness to perform hands-on work as well as assisting in strategic projects
- Results-oriented and committed to operational excellence
- Self-sufficient with the ability to ask questions and request help when needed, including planning and execution of tasks under his/her own managemen
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with Excel
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, PDA, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.