The School Principal (Elementary, Middle, and High School), in conjunction with the Director of Operations, is responsible for all aspects of running a school. The elementary, middle, or high school principal is responsible for overseeing instruction, curriculum, assessment, and professional development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
INSTRUCTIONAL & SCHOOL LEADERSHIP
- Provide exemplary leadership to all members of the school community to achieve outstanding performance in the school’s mission of preparing each student for college
- Work to dramatically improve student achievement by leading the educational program
- Effectively manage faculty and staff
- Develop and communicate the school’s systems, culture, and vision, and create a plan to achieve that vision
- Oversee curriculum development and assessment
- Implement effective internal and external assessment systems and use data to inform decisions
- Ensure strong consistency within the school program and curricular alignment with state and other rigorous standards
- Select and share effective curricular and instructional practices from and with other schools
- Serve as point person for all students and families
EVALUATION & FEEDBACK
- Oversee faculty and staff of the school, including recruitment, selection, evaluation, supervision, retention, and dismissal
- Manage teaching staff, including professional development, staff observations, curriculum development, staff communication, and scheduling and program decisions
- Lead faculty to ensure that all staff are providing well-managed and rigorous daily lessons, reasonable and effective daily homework, and regular and productive afterschool tutoring
- Foster commitment among faculty and staff to the development and fulfillment of the school’s mission and objectives
- Hold teachers accountable for meeting high standards for student academic and behavioral performance
- Work with staff on all curricular, instructional, assessment, and professional development issues and activities to ensure data drives classroom instruction
- Work with staff to foster consistency among staff in enforcing the Student and Family Handbook and other school-wide discipline policies
- Facilitate positive faculty dynamics
- Work with Special Education Coordinator to ensure 504 accommodations, IEP modifications, and counseling needs are met
- Maintain communication and relations with the families of the school, ensuring they are kept involved with and held accountable for their children’s academic and behavioral performance
- Communicate regularly with families regarding student performance and academic achievement
- Work with staff to correspond regularly with families regarding school policies, trips, events, and milestones
- Work with staff to plan, coordinate, and support family meetings and special events
- Respond to family concerns promptly and effectively
STUDENT SUPPORT/SCHOOL CULTURE
- Collaborate with school staff to maximize the ability of the school to support students’ academic and socio-emotional development
- Provide leadership to all staff and students in establishing a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and fun school culture
- Oversee students’ academic and behavioral program, including disciplinary decisions, enforcement of the Student and Family Handbook, scheduling and class decisions, educational program, and assessment and accountability
- Ensure that traditions and rituals that support the school’s college mission are being created and maintained, grade by grade, year to year
- Foster consistency in academic and behavioral expectations in and out of class
- Ensure effective exam preparation to ensure student success
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure the smooth administration and effectiveness of the after school enrichment programs
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of school
- Help oversee school-wide strategic planning and problem solving
- Work with Director of Operations to lead the school’s administrative program
- Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Strong organizational skills; extremely careful attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
- Minimum educational level
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience required:
- 5 years teaching and working in classrooms and coaching teachers, preferably in urban schools and/or communities
- Experience as a Dean or equivalent leadership role highly preferred
- Experience at a high-performing charter school highly preferred but not required
We offer a competitive compensation package and comprehensive health benefits.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.